Transfer Applicants

Transferring Coursework into the Trachtenberg School

The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, which oversees the Trachtenberg School, can accept up to 10 credits of transferred credit into the MPA and MPP, and up to 24 credits into the PhD. Transferring credits depends on which courses you would like to transfer, their appropriateness to the program and the requirements below.

  • The course work must have been taken at an accredited college or university
  • The Trachtenberg School must approve it as appropriate to your program of study
  • It must have been taken within the past two years
  • It must not have been applied to the completion of requirements for another degree
  • You must have received a grade of "B" or better
  • An official transcript showing completion of the course work must be on file in the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences Graduate Services office before the request can be considered. This is typically included with your application for admission

Transferring to the Trachtenberg School from Another School or Program

Within GW

If you are contemplating a transfer to the Trachtenberg School from another school or program within GW, you must consult with your current department/program advisor as well as with the advisor in the program to which you are considering transferring. Transfers to other programs within CCAS and transfers to programs within another school in the University require a formal application.


Applicants from similar programs at other universities are considered new applicants and must file an application for admission along with all requisite materials. The admissions committee will consider your completed graduate coursework in their decision. The transfer of coursework is typically completed during the student's first semester at The Trachtenberg School.

If you have completed a significant amount of coursework in your current degree program, consider taking courses at GW as a non-degree student and transferring the credits back to your degree program. To determine if this is feasible, you should work with the faculty and staff in your degree program, likely starting with your academic advisor.