Director, Trachtenberg School and Stephen Joel Trachtenberg Professor in Public Service
- Wilderness hiking
- Rescue Dogs
- Museums and Parks
- Association for Research on Nonprofit and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) Elected President 2016-2018
- Sall Family Foundation Trustee 2013-present
- CFRE International Board Member 2017-present
- Capital Area Humane Society/Columbus Humane Board Member 2016-present
- National Imperative Advisory Council Member, Alliance for Strong Families and Communities 2017
- ASIA-ARNOVA conference Advisory Council Chair 2017
- Entrepreneur of the Year, NC State University, awarded 2013
- Pi Alpha Alpha International Honorary Society President 2011-2013, Vice President 2009-2011
- Sustainability Consortium, External Relations Council Member 2011-2013
- Community Engaged Faculty Fellow, North Carolina State University 2011-2013
- Research Society for Public Management (IRSPM): Vice President North America 2006-2011
- National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA): Chair, Nonprofit Management Education Section 2005-2007; Chair, Committee for Revision of Nonprofit Education Program Guidelines 2006
- Academy of Management (AOM): Public & Nonprofit Division, Chair 2000-2001; AOM Council Member 1999-2000; Public & Nonprofit Division, Program Chair 1998-1999; Public & Nonprofit Division Membership Representative 1996-1998
- International Research Symposium on Public Management (IRSPM): Founding Member, Scientific Organizing Committee 1999-2006 and Third Sector Track co-organizer 2010-2016
- Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly: Editorial Board Member, 2010 to present; Special Issue Coeditor 2012-2014 (Issue on Membership Associations)
- Editorial Board service for academic journals
- Nonprofit and Public Management
PPPA 8191 Dissertation Workshop
Selected Recent Publications
“Association and Membership Management” Mary Tschirhart in Stefan Toepler and Helmut Anheier (Eds) Routledge Companion to Nonprofit Management, London: Routledge (forthcoming)
“Organizational Response to Changing Demands: Predicting Behavior in Donor Networks” Khaldoun AbouAssi & Mary Tschirhart, Public Administration Review 2018, 78:1: 126-136.
“Locations of Decision-Makers in Membership Organizations: Lessons from Lebanon” Khaldoun AbouAssi, Mary Tschirhart & Nadeen H. Makhlouf, Nonprofit Management and Leadership 2017, 28: 2: 237-247.
“Means, Motives and Opportunities: Exploring Board Volunteering” Michael Walton, Richard Clerkin, Laurie Paarlberg, Robert Christensen, Rebecca Nesbit & Mary Tschirhart, Personnel Review 2017, 46:1: 115-135.
"The Paradox of Inclusion and Exclusion in Membership Associations" Nicholas Solebello, Mary Tschirhart & Jeffrey Leiter, Human Relations, 2016: 69: 2: 439-460.
“Older Adult Secular Volunteering: Volunteer Engagement Pathways for Newcomers and Longer Term Residents in an American Community” Laurie Paarlberg, Lauren Dula, Mary Tschirhart, Richard Clerkin, Robert Christensen & Rebecca Nesbitt, Voluntary Sector Review, 2015 6, 3, 241-259.
"Philanthropic Mobility and the Influence of Duration of Donor Residency on Donation Choice" Rebecca Nesbit, Robert Christensen, Mary Tschirhart, Richard Clerkin & Laurie Paarlberg, VOLUNTAS, 2015, 26, 267-287.
PhD Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management, University of Michigan, Stephen M. Ross School of Business
MBA Arts Administration, State University of New York (SUNY) Binghamton