What forms do I need to submit to graduate?

MPA, MPP, MA and PhD students must submit the Online Application for Graduation by the appropriate deadline. Certificate students must submit the Certificate Completion form to their program coordinator.

MPA, MA and MPP students need to submit their Program of Study form to the Assistant Director of Graduate Studies during their final semester of classes.  Additionally, students should confirm everything is current and correct regarding their classes in Degree Map.

PhD students should review the information contained on the GW Electronic Theses and Dissertations pages, and contact the program coordinator or their advisor with any questions.

When is graduation?

GW has one graduation activity-filled weekend each year, the weekend following Mother's Day (typically on/around May 20). There are four major events:

  • GWU Commencement: located on the Mall, this event features all GW graduates and a major speaker. (Sunday, tickets required)
  • PhD Hooding Ceremony. (Thursday evening, tickets required)
  • CCAS Celebration: located at the Smith Center, this event features graduates walking across the stage. (Friday morning, tickets required)
  • TSPPPA Reception: this reception celebrates our graduates. (Friday morning following the CCAS Celebration)

When are degrees conferred?

Degrees are conferred for spring, summer, and fall semesters. The dates of graduated are posted on the Registrar's Office.

How and when will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed, typically 8-12 weeks after your graduation date. More information about diplomas is available from the Office of the Registrar.